This 4 blog series discusses the horrific parts of the job search process called the Resume (Part 1), Networking (Part 2), Interviewing (Part 3), and a surprise topic (Part 4).
5 ridiculous aspects of networking that we all suffer through…
Networking Events Worse Than Death, Dentists, and Taxes
- I feel so nervous sometimes I don’t know what to say
- Seems like dating all over again, and that was a nightmare
- The person I am speaking with just talks about themselves; get me out of here
LinkedIn Networking Headaches
My Network is Small
- Hey, I’ve been working and have had no time to build my network
- I am connected to a lot of people in my company but not on the outside
- I don’t know most of my connections
Reaching Out to People I Used to Know Is Awkward
- I feel like an ambulance chaser
- I have no idea how to ask for help
- They are going to look down on me for not having a job or needing help
How Do I Even Reach Out?
- Can’t I just click the “Connect” button; what is this “add a note stuff”?
- Once I am connected, what do I then do; nobody likes to help someone get a job-Ugh!
- What if people don’t connect with me; why didn’t they? Is it me?
I Probably Have to Pay LinkedIn a lot of Money When I Start Reaching Out
- I have no job and no extra money
- If I had some money, I would probably spend it on something better
- Somebody show me the return on investment of the extra cost
Networking is Just Too Painful!