This post discusses why it’s not your resume. Your resume is only step 2 of the 5 step process…
Between jobs 4 years ago, I did what everyone else did.
I applied on company websites, LinkedIn, Indeed, Monster, etc.
I spent hours on my resume to get that perfect wording, that perfect “look”.
I got nothing, not even feedback why I was rejected
I was so angry that after 3 months of unemployment, I fell into depression.
I told myself it’s my resume. I spent even more hours on this stupid document.
My brother, my savior, again pulled me aside and explained that marketing yourself is a multi-step process.
Your resume is just one part, maybe 20%. Why spend 100% of your time on 20% of value?
Don’t get me wrong; a best in class resume and LinkedIn profile are essential for getting a job, but they aren’t enough.
5 Steps to Landing that Position and Getting your Groove Back
- Decide your career path after some serious soul searching
- Tailor your resume to the most common skills that 4-5 sample job descriptions require
- Optimize your LinkedIn profile both in content and in the behind the scenes settings
- Network in person and via LinkedIn–repeat this step over and over and over and over
- Engage in mock interviews with someone who knows how to critique you
Ever go on a first date and ask the other to marry you that night?
Ever ask the waiter to only bring you the appetizer when you paid for a 7 course meal?
Ever just do the 1st and 60th minute of an exercise routine?
Please respect the 5 steps to avoid languishing in anxiety and frustration.
I will discuss each step in future blogs.