Have you worked so hard all your life that you have not had time to build your network? Wouldn’t it be great if you could increase it by 10x?
Well, I’m here to tell you that you can!
Ask a simple question
Start the ball rolling by having networking calls/coffees. At the end of any networking call, simply ask your contact if they can put you in touch with someone else to learn more about whatever topics you discussed.
Sounds simple, but have you ever done it?
If you had a great networking call where you discussed the industry, competitive forces, how the contact’s company is doing, etc., then you should be hungry for more information.
However, if your networking call did not touch upon these types of topics, then you might need to take a step back and learn how to have a networking call.
Do’s and don’ts of proper networking calls
Here are some helpful tips:
- Emphasize your desire to learn more and increase your network
- Don’t make it sound like you are trying to get an interview
- Follow up with your contact if they agree to make a referral; they might forget
- Don’t ignore middle-level professionals who can help sometimes more than senior ones
- Ask to be connected to an uber-referral, i.e., someone who knows everyone
When you speak with your contact’s referral, ask for another referral. Eventually, you touch the world and get a better job.